Seeking Interim Pastor for Comunidad Presbiteriana la Trinidad
About Comunidad Presbiteriana La Trinidad (CPT):
Comunidad Presbiteriana La Trinidad (The Presbyterian Community of the Trinity) is a New Worshipping Community of the PC (USA) tradition formed by the six Presbyterian USA churches in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, known as the Bay Area Disciples. The Hispanic population
in Anne Arundel County is among the fastest growing, the poorest, and the most underserved in terms of social services of all groups in Anne Arundel County. The 2015 Poverty Among Plenty Report, published by the Anne Arundel County Foundation, cited this rapid growth and
expressed a strong need for accessible medical services. Transportation was also identified as a significant need. The Report on the Hispanic Population of Anne Arundel County by Reverend Migde Lucas, a Guatemalan Presbyterian Pastor, and Marcia Towers, former PCUSA mission co‐worker, demonstrated a strong need for a Presbyterian Hispanic Ministry in Anne Arundel County. CPT, formed in 2016, is the only mission for the Hispanic community in the reformed tradition in the area.
We are a church founded in Jesus Christ, that is based in the community as a center of action. We proclaim the Gospel, to bring the Good News to those who need it most, building the Kingdom of God through our missionary and spiritual (diaconal) work. We are instruments of God to transform, in an integral way, the life of the sons and daughters of God, respecting people regardless of their social, political, economic, sex or cultural conditions.
To be the community of faith where Hispanic families in Anne Arundel County can encounter God; to be a space where they can receive comprehensive pastoral and social care, with attention to their spiritual and material lives that promote their development and participation
within the community. All this through the proclamation of the Gospel, prayer, and the development of social programs available to the families.
Interim Pastor Responsibilities:
- Plan, organize and lead weekly worship services at First Presbyterian Church in Annapolis on Sundays at 9:30 am.
- Organize and lead Friday Night Bible Studies, held at either the Elliot’s home or at the Farm depending on the season at 6 pm.
- Maintain connections and visit members in their homes and other locations within the community
- Accompany and/or arrange transportation for families in the community as needed
- Be in relation, and maintain relations with various organizations, including the county, the city, Center of Help, Annapolis Immigration Justice Network, the police, the Department of Health, Esperanza Center, CASA Maryland, and an organization of Guatemalans in
- Oversee the 2019 Garden Project, working with the congregational leader in recruiting families, organizing needed supplies and seeds, working with other organizations for volunteer labor, collecting participation fees, and selling overflow produce and chickens.
- Organize events on the farm, for example the Festival of Maiz and the Annual Celebration
- Lead monthly CPT organizational committee meeting and provide a written report (monthly) summarizing activities from the previous month
- Meet with Bay Area Disciples group quarterly when it convenes
- Work with the members of CPT to discern its future path and terms of calls for a full-term pastor
- Bi-lingual: Must have ability to communicate in Spanish and English, primarily in Spanish for all bible studies, services etc.; communicate and manage different cultural and faith expressions; as well as knowledge of the history, cultural and contexts of Latin American countries
- Must have own transportation
- Must be able to use WhatsApp and telephone calls to communicate and convene members of Comunidad and committee; occasional posts to Facebook
- This is a part time/20 hour per week position
- Annual salary of $28,000
- Pension and SECA provided per Presbytery guidelines
- Expense allowance for this position is to be determined
- Contract for 6 months, reviewed after 6 months